Savory Bread Pudding
Mushrooms, scallions, sage, Parmesan cheese and bacon take center stage in this bread pudding side dish.
4 bacon slices
6 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
4 scallions, sliced
1 tsp. dried rubbed sage
3 cups whole milk or light cream
1⁄3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and ground pepper, to taste
6 oz. day-old brioche or other bread, cubed (about 6 cups)
Fresh sage leaves, for garnish
1. Cook bacon in skillet until almost crisp; remove, drain, and cut into pieces; reserve.
2. In drippings remaining in skillet, combine mushrooms, scallions, and sage. Sauté 5-10 min., or until tender; remove with slotted spoon and reserve.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 4 individual baking dishes. Whisk eggs, milk, 1⁄4 cup Parmesan, and salt and pepper to taste in large bowl. Add bread cubes; toss to coat. Let stand 15 min.
4. Stir reserved bacon and mushroom mixture into bread mixture. Portion out into prepared baking dishes; sprinkle remaining Parmesan on top.
5. Bake puddings 40 min., or until set, golden brown, and puffed. Serve warm, garnished with sage leaves.