This sauce complements many dishes and allows you to adjust the heat as needed.
2 ½ cups salad oil
3 lb. diced yellow onion, unpeeled
9 ½ oz. garlic minced water pack
6 ½ oz. gingerroot
1 ¼ oz. dried red peppers
2 ½ cups white sherry
2 ½ cup white vinegar
3 cups ketchup
2 ½ cups white granulated sugar
- Rehydrate chilies in just enough hot water to cover, placing weight on top of chilies to keep submerged in water until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Pull away caps of peppers and discard water.
- In kettle, place oil, rehydrated chilies, onions, garlic and ginger. “Fry” ingredients over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes, or until tender.
- Add sherry, ketchup, vinegar and sugar; stir well. Simmer an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
- Turn off heat and blend product with stick blender until all peppers have been puréed. Seeds will still be visible.