Sal’s Checkered Sweet Potato and Parsnips
This dish steps traditional sweet potatoes up a notch by creating a dish that features a checkerboard design. A pomegranate sauce is drizzled on the side and the dish is accented with whole pecans.
1 cup pomegranate juice
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. cornstarch
2 sweet potatoes with skin, steamed
3 tbsp. toasted pecans, finely chopped
1 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. brown sugar
2 medium parsnips, peeled, steamed
1/2 tsp. ginger, finely chopped
1/2 tsp. lime zest
1. Combine pomegranate juice, sugar and cornstarch and reduce to a half cup to make pomegranate agrodolce glaze.
2. Mash sweet potatoes in bowl. Add pecans, butter and brown sugar to sweet potatoes and purée.
3. Mash parsnips in separate bowl. Add ginger, lime and a little salt and purée.
4. Spread each purée on paper in different pans 3/4-in. thick and place in freezer to harden.
5. Once purées have hardened—but not frozen—cut in 3/4-in. long strips. Alternate colors vertically and then horizontally creating a block (log). Cut log 1-in. thick.
6. Place thick layer of dish on plate with pomegranate glaze. Place whole pecans on side of log.
Recipe by Concord Academy (Sodexo), Concord, Mass.