Russian Beef Stew
Liven up your soup selection with this hearty stew, featuring beef and Polish sausage links.
2 ½ lb. beef stew meat, cubed
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
4 tsp. kosher salt
1 tbsp. ground black pepper
5 tbsp. rice bran oil or high-quality cooking oil
2 whole bay leaves
½ lb. leeks, 1/8-in. sliced
2 oz. fresh garlic, minced
3 ¼ cup beef broth
1 lb. turnip, ½-in. diced
3 russet potatoes, ½-in. diced
24 oz. canned diced tomato
2 tbsp. nonpareil caper, drained
½ cup sliced ripe olives
4 oz. tomato paste
Fresh thyme to taste
1 ¼ lb. Polish sausage links, ½-in. sliced
1 lb. medium egg noodles, cooked, buttered
- Toss beef with flour, salt and pepper.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat. Add seasoned meat and brown on all sides in single layer, working in batches if needed.
- Add bay leaves, leeks and garlic and sauté until vegetables are slightly softened.
- Add beef stock and reduce heat to simmer. Cook uncovered for 1 hour.
- Add turnip and potato and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add tomato, capers, olives, tomato paste, thyme and sausage. Bring to boil. Season to taste.
- Serve over buttered egg noodles and garnish with sour cream.