This sweet and seasonal rum toddy from New Orleans bartender Lucinda Weed incorporates the flavors of pumpkin pie with a house-made pumpkin butter. The recipe is included, but a store-bought apple butter substitute would work as well.
1 1/2 oz. Blackbeard Rum
1/4 oz. Angostura Bitters
1/4 oz. Agave Nectar
1/4 oz. Pumpkin Butter*
1 dash Allspice dram
2 oz. lemon ginger tea
3 pie pumpkins (5 1/2-6 cups puree)
1 1/4 cup Steens cane syrup
1 1/4 cup cane sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp Allspice
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a shaker tin and place in a hot water bath to gently heat.
- Top with hot tea. Serves one.
- Half and gut the pie pumpkins. Roast at 375°F in a pan with enough water to cover the bottom for 1 hour or until very tender.
- Discard the skin and puree the pumpkin until very, very smooth.
- Combine all ingredients in a pot, heat and stir. Yields 3 pints.
Commercially-available apple butter can be substituted for the pumpkin butter.