Roasted Turkey Over Pear and Strawberry Salad with Orange Vinaigrette
This recipe was developed by Billy Reid, director of child nutrition for the Salida Union Public Schools in California. Reid says this recipe demonstrates a great use of USDA Foods products, including turkey, which the district roasts and places over a salad made with USDA Foods’ pears, strawberries and tomatoes.
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1⁄4 cup orange juice
1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
2⁄3 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
4 fresh basil leaves
8 oz. canned diced tomatoes, drained
1 oz. balsamic vinegar
1. To make dressing: In mixing bowl, whisk Dijon mustard and orange juice together until blended.
2. Add vinegar and whisk together.
3. Slowly drizzle oil into mixture, whisking as you add. Do not add too quickly or dressing will not emulsify. Add salt and pepper at end to taste. Set aside. Note: This can also be made in blender.
4. Chop or tear basil leaves into small pieces. In bowl, mix diced tomatoes, fresh basil and balsamic vinegar and gently stir together with fork. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
5. In bowl, toss lettuce and strawberries together, and set aside.
6. Assembly: Turkey roast can be served hot or cold. Place 1 cup romaine in container or plate and top with 2 ounce strawberries. Add 2 ounce diced tomato and 1⁄2 pear. Top with 2 ounce turkey and drizzle with dressing to taste.
Recipe by Salida Union (Calif.) School District