Slices of pork sholder stuffed with spinach and cheese and slow roasted with Sicilian flavors make a beautiful presentation. The fragrant and full-bodied sauce is a mouth-watering enticement.
3 tbsp. shallots, chopped
4 tbsp. garlic, minced
Olive oil, as needed
1⁄2 cup pine nuts
1 cup fresh basil, chiffonade
1 cup Italian pork sausage
1 2-3-lb. pork shoulder roast, boneless
3 cups fresh spinach, blanched
1 cup fontina cheese, shredded
1⁄2 tbsp. crushed red pepper
2 tbsp. dried basil
2 cups mixed vegetables; onion, celery, carrot, medium dice
1⁄2 cup red wine
3⁄4 lb. eggplant, diced
1⁄2 cup yellow bell pepper, diced
1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, diced
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 large garlic bulb, peeled and minced
1 tbsp. packed brown sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp. anchovies, minced
3 tbsp. capers
1⁄2 cup Greek olives, sliced
3 cups plum tomatoes, diced
3 tbsp. parsley, chopped
1. For stuffing, sauté shallots and 2 tbsp. minced garlic in olive oil until light brown. In a bowl, combine pine nuts, basil and Italian sausage with sautéed shallots and garlic.
2. Butterfly pork shoulder; place spinach down center, top with sausage stuffing and cheese. Roll up and tie.
3. Rub pork with olive oil, 2 tbsp. minced garlic, crushed red pepper and dried basil. Place in a pan atop mixed vegetables and roast at 350° F. until internal temperature is 160° F. Remove from pan; keep warm.
4. Deglaze pan with red wine; skim and reserve liquid.
5. In a saucepan, sauté eggplant, yellow and red peppers, onion and remaining garlic in oil until tender. Add brown sugar, lemon juice, vinegar, anchovies, capers, olives and 6 tbsp. olive oil and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and fold in tomatoes and parsley.
6. Serve slices of pork shoulder with vegetables and sauce.