This lovely presentation of chicken and zucchini is worth the work for the raves it will garner. The chicken is rolled and roasted and sliced crosswise and looks great on the plate.
Olive oil, as needed
12 zucchini, seeded, cut in 1⁄2-in. pieces
12 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
24 plum tomatoes, peeled, cut in half lengthwise
1 tbsp. sea salt
1 tbsp. sugar
6 sprigs fresh thyme
6 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
6 3-lb. organic chickens
12 oz. caul fat
2 tbsp. roasted garlic purée
6 tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped
1 tbsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
1. In a skillet, heat oil and sauté zucchini and garlic until tender; season to taste.
2. Remove from heat; chill and purée in a food processor until smooth. Reserve.
3. In a bowl, toss together tomatoes, salt, sugar, thyme sprigs, 1⁄2 cup olive oil and garlic cloves. Cover and refrigerate at least 24 hr.
4. Remove tomatoes from refrigerator and place cut side-down on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake at 250° F. for 3-5 hr. until they resemble sun-dried tomatoes. Reserve.
5. Remove the breast from the chicken, leaving in only the wing bone. Bone the legs and thighs. Open the breast and place 1 tbsp. zucchini purée and two tomatoes on meat. Cover with thigh and leg meat and season. Wrap each piece in caul fat, creating a cylinder.
6. In a skillet over high heat, sauté chicken in oil until brown on all sides; add garlic purée, thyme and rosemary. Roast at 325° F. until done. Slice and serve with seasonal vegetables.