This fragrant chicken dish is enhanced by garlic, tomato, rosemary and thyme. Rolled around a zucchini filling, the cooked chicken is sliced for a lovely presentation.
Olive oil, as needed
12 zucchini, seeded, cut in 1⁄2-in. pieces
12 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
24 plum tomatoes, peeled, cut in half lengthwise
1 tbsp. sea salt
1 tbsp. sugar
6 sprigs fresh thyme
6 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
6 3-lb. organic chickens
12 oz. caul fat
2 tbsp. roasted garlic purée
6 tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped
1 tbsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
1. In a skillet, heat oil and sauté zucchini and garlic until tender; season to taste.
2. Remove from heat; chill and purée in a food processor until smooth. Reserve.
3. In a bowl, toss together tomatoes, salt, sugar, thyme, 1⁄2 cup olive oil and garlic. Cover and refrigerate at least 24 hr.
4. Remove tomatoes from refrigerator and place cut side-down on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake at 250° F. for 3-5 hr. until they resemble sun-dried tomatoes. Reserve.
5. Remove the breast from the chicken, leaving in only the wing bone. Bone the legs and thighs. Open the breast and place 1 tbsp. zucchini purée and two tomatoes on meat. Cover with thigh and leg meat and season. Wrap each piece in caul fat, creating a cylinder.
6. In a skillet over high heat, sauté chicken in oil until brown on all sides; add garlic, thyme and rosemary. Roast at 325° F. until done. Slice and serve with seasonal vegetables.