Roasted Crimini Mushroom Bisque
This soup is rich and creamy with minced garlic, sherry wine and potato. The dish is also served with a spicy tomato jam and Sweet Corn and Mushroom Napoleon.
Sweet corn and mushroom napoleon
1 ear fresh corn
1 roasted red bell pepper, roasted, diced
1 shallot, minced
3 crimini mushrooms, sliced, sautéed
2 oz. spinach, sautéed
2 tbsp. olive oil
Spicy tomato jam:
12 cherry tomatoes
½ shallot minced
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tbsp. sherry vinegar
1.5 tbsp. granulated sugar
1 tbsp. olive oil
5 oz. sliced crimini mushrooms
1 minced shallot
3 tbsp. + 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 minced garlic cloves
1 oz. chopped leeks
2 oz. sherry wine
4 cups chicken stock
¼ cup heavy cream
1 fresh bouquet gami (parsley stems, bay leave, sprig fresh thyme, few celery leaves) tied together with cheesecloth
1 small potato, peeled, finely diced
1. To make sweet corn and mushroom napoleon: Roast pepper in 425°F degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes. Place in bowl and cover with plastic to steam.
2. Strip kernels from cob. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes in hot pan with shallot until tender. Set aside.
3. Sauté spinach with olive oil. Season to taste. Set aside.
4. Peel roasted pepper and cut into small dice. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
5. To make spicy tomato jam: Cut tomatoes in half. Heat in small saucepan on medium heat. Add oil, shallot and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes. Add in tomatoes, sugar and vinegar. Cook on medium-low heat until liquid evaporated and jellylike consistency is achieved.
6. To make the bisque: Heat oil in large saucepan. When hot, add shallot, leek, mushrooms and garlic. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until nicely caramelized.
7. Deglaze sherry wine and cook until evaporated. Stir in potato and bouquet gami. Cook for 2 minutes.
8. Pour in stock and bring to a boil. Add seasoning to taste. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
9. Remove bouquet gami. Blend in food processor or blender until smooth. Pass through sleeve in clean pan. Add in heavy cream. Taste for seasoning. Set aside.
10. Use small ring mold to assemble napoleon. Begin with layer of spinach, mushrooms, roasted red peppers and corn. Repeat process until mold is full. Keep mold until all other components are complete. Pour bisque into bowl. Place dollop tomato jam in bowl. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and freshly cracked black pepper.
Recipe by Northwestern University, Evanston, Ill.