Roast Beef & Mushroom Hash
A hash dish to meant to delight. Tender on the inside and crusty on the outside with mushrooms, beets and chili powder for extra flavor.
1 1/2 lb. russet potatoes, peeled and diced
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large Spanish onion, diced
1/2 lb. shiitake mushroom caps, julienned
Freshly ground black pepper
1 lb. beef sirloin, in 1/2-in. cubes
1 tbsp. chili powder
1/2 cup seeded plum tomato, diced (or blanched, halved baby beets)
1. Boil potatoes until softened but still firm, about 12 min. Drain and spread out on cookie sheet to cool.
2. Heat oil in a wide sauté pan over med.-high heat; sauté onion until golden, about 6 min.
3. Add the par-boiled potatoes and cook until they start to brown, about 4-5 min. Then add the mushrooms and sauté 3-4 min. more. Season the sauté with salt and pepper and transfer to bowl, using a slotted spoon.
4. Add cubed beef to the same sauté pan and brown all sides evenly over high heat, retaining med.- rare interior, 7-8 min. This can be done in batches if necessary. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Add chili powder, diced tomato or beets, cilantro, and cooked vegetables, and mix well. Press down along edges and cook over low heat to form a crust along bottom of pan.