Redneck Eggs Benedict
Turkey sausage gravy is the highlight of these Eggs Benedict. Turkey ham on a buttermilk biscuit is topped with a cooked egg and the rich gravy. Hash browns on the side complete this filling breakfst dish.
1 lb. turkey sausage
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sweet onion, diced
2 cups red bell pepper, seeded and minced
3/4 cup flour
1 1/2 quarts milk
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
24 large eggs
12, 3-inch round buttermilk biscuits
24, 1-oz slices turkey ham, heated
Cooked hash-brown potatoes as needed
Fresh fruit as needed
1. If required, remove turkey sausage from casing. Over medium heat, cook sausage, breaking into small pieces. Cook until sausage is no longer pink. Remove from pan and reserve.
2. In same skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat, add onion and bell peppers. Saute until vegetables are tender. Remove from pan and reserve.
3. Melt remaining butter over medium-low heat. Add flour; cook until mixture is golden brown, stirring frequently.
4. Slowly whisk in milk. Continue stirring until gravy bubbles and is thick. Return cooked sausage and vegetables to gravy. Season with salt, black pepper and cayenne.
Reserve for service.
1. For each serving, fry two eggs per order. Split and warm each biscuit. Place on warmed dinner plate.
2. Top each biscuit half with a 1-ounce slice heated turkey ham. Cover each with fried egg.
3. Ladle 2 to 3 ounces Turkey Sausage Gravy atop eggs. Serve with hash-browned potatoes and garnish with fresh fruit.