Recipes from Home: Grandmother’s Buttermilk Pie
Pat Farris, Supervisor of School Food Services, St. Tammany Parish School Board, Covington, La., says: Buttermilk Pie was my favorite recipe as a child. Mother served it very often for Sunday lunch. When I first started dating my now-husband, it became one of his favorites, too.
2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup butter
3 tbsp. flour
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
Nutmeg for garnish
11/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup shortening
4 tbsp. cold water
1. Mix all Filling ingredients well.
2. For Pie Crust: Mix flour and salt. Using two knives, cut shortening into flour mixture until it forms pea-sized pieces.
3. Sprinkle with cold water. Using fork, combine dough pieces with water. Add more water, 1 tbsp. at a time, if needed to make dough stick together.
4. Roll out dough on floured surface. Place dough in pie pan and crimp edges.
5. Fill unbaked Pie Crust with Filling and sprinkle with nutmeg. Bake at 350°F for 45 to 50 mins.