Recipes from Home: Grandma’s Sausage Bread
Stephen Mulé, Executive Chef, NBC Universal (Flik International), New York, says: My grandmother used to make this dish on special occasions. When she was making it she’d let all of us know and we’d have a big meal. She’d have nine or 10 loaves of sausage bread made. Five of them were for us and then the rest were to take home. They were good times. This dish definitely brings back a lot of memories.
1 lb. sweet Italian sausage meat
1 26-oz. pizza dough ball
1/2 cup Crisco shortening
1 lb. sharp provolone wedge, cubed into little pieces
1 tsp. crushed black pepper
Egg white to taste (optional)
Garlic powder to taste (optional)
1. Brown sausage patties in frying pan, breaking up into crumbles while cooking. Let cool and drain off fat.
2. Roll out dough as thin as possible. Lightly coat dough with some Crisco shortening.
3. Generously cover dough with cooked sausage and provolone, distributing evenly. Sprinkle with black pepper.
4. Roll dough into loaf and place on large cookie tray. Bake at 350°F to 375°F until dough is cooked.
5. About halfway through, brush top with egg white and sprinkle garlic powder on top if desired. Let sit before serving.