Ranch-style Breakfast Burrito with Two Onion Salsas
This breakfast burrito pairs well with two onion salsa sides. With endless amounts of flavor and flair, this breakfast burrito is one of a kind.
4 (8-in.) flour tortillas
2 cups chopped onions
1 tbsp. olive oil
4 egg whites
1 cup chopped tomatoes
¼ cup chopped cilantro or parsley
¼ tsp. black pepper
Fresh Mango Salsa (recipe follows)
Avocado-Red Onion Salsa (recipe follows)
Fat-free sour cream or yogurt
- Stack tortillas; wrap in foil.
- Heat in 350°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sauté onions in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Beat eggs, egg whites, tomatoes, cilantro and black pepper together in bowl with fork.
- Pour over onions and cook on medium heat, stirring with spatula until scrambled, about 6 minutes.
- Divide egg mixture onto warm tortillas. Roll tortillas around egg mixture, tucking in ends to prevent filling from falling out. Serve with salsas and sour cream or yogurt. Makes four servings.
Fresh Mango-Onion Salsa:
- Combine 1 cup chopped fresh mango (or peaches) with ¼ cup chopped yellow or red onion, ½ teaspoon grated orange peel, 2 tablespoons orange juice and 1 to 2 teaspoons minced, seeded fresh jalapeño pepper (optional). Makes 1 cup.
Avocado-Red Onion Salsa:
- Combine 1 large or 2 small diced avocados (about l cup) with ¼ cup thin wedges of red onion, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro and 1 tablespoon lime juice. Makes 1 cup.
Recipe by National Onion Association