Quinoa Salad with Roasted Jalapeños
Native Peruvian Quinoa lends itself well to Latin flavors, as paired with roasted jalapenos and toasted pepitas, or pumpkin seeds, in this light autumn salad.
1 1/2 lbs. jalapeños, seeded, 1/2-in. dice
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
1 1/2 lbs. quinoa, rinsed well
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
2 bunches scallions, thinly sliced
4 cups seedless red grapes, halved
1 bunch fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
1 cup pepitas, lightly toasted
1 lb. queso fresco, crumbled
1. Toss jalapeños with a dash of extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Reserve most of oil, salt and pepper for dressing.
2. Roast in 400°F oven for between 10 and 15 mins. until soft and slightly blackened. Set aside to cool.
3. Cook quinoa in salted water about 20 mins. Drain. Transfer to bowl. Add cooled jalapeños.
4. Whisk together salt, pepper, cumin, lime juice and olive oil; set aside for dressing.
5. Add scallions, red grapes, cilantro, pepitas and queso fresco to mixture.
6. Add enough dressing to coat. Taste and add more salt and pepper if necessary. Serve at room temperature.
Recipe by Yale University, New Haven, Conn.