This salad features veggies, greens and quinoa, hitting multiple flavor notes in each bite.
1 cup quinoa
3 cups water
½ tsp. sea salt
2 cups medium diced English cucumber
1 finely diced small red onion
2 medium diced vine-ripened tomatoes
1 jalapeños, seeded if desired, finely chopped
1 small bunch cilantro, chopped
1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups fresh arugula
1 medium diced avocado
¼ tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- Place quinoa in bowl and cover with cold water. Let sit for five minutes. Drain through strainer, and rinse until water runs clear.
- Bring 3 cups water to a boil in medium saucepan. Add salt (½ to ¾ teaspoon) and quinoa. Bring back to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 15 minutes, or until quinoa is tender and translucent; each grain should have little thread.
- Drain off water in pan through strainer and return quinoa to pan. Cover pan with clean dishtowel, replace lid and allow to sit for 10 minutes. If making for freezer, uncover and allow cooling and then place in plastic bags. Flatten bags and seal.
- Meanwhile, place finely diced cucumber in colander and sprinkle with salt. Toss and let sit for 15 minutes. Rinse cucumber with cold water and drain on paper towels. If using onion, place in bowl and cover with cold water. Let sit for five minutes, then drain. Rinse with cold water and drain on paper towels.
- Combine tomatoes, jalapeños, cilantro, vinegar, lime juice and olive oil and pepper in bowl. Add cucumber and onion, season to taste with salt and add quinoa and arugula. Toss together and taste. Adjust seasonings as needed. Serve garnished with sliced avocado and cilantro.