These round loaves of sourdough based bread come out crusty and delicious. Cut thick slices for sandwiches or serve on a board with flavored butter.
1⁄2 oz. fresh yeast or 1 tbsp. dry yeast
4 cups warm water
1 1⁄4 cups sourdough starter
1 1⁄2 tbsp. sea salt
8-9 cups unbleached flour
Cornmeal, if desired
1. Dissolve yeast in 1 cup warm water and let rest 5 min.
2. In a large mixer with a dough hook, combine starter, salt and remaining water. On low speed, add 6 cups flour and yeast mixture. Slowly add 2 cups flour until mixed.
3. Continue adding flour until dough is loose and sticky to the touch. Remove dough from mixer and knead with floured hands approx. 5 min. Oil outside of dough and allow to rise, covered, in a warm place 1-11⁄2 hr.
4. Punch down dough and let it to rise again, approx. 45 min. Shape into round loaves and place on greased or cornmeal-coated sheet pans. Rise again until doubled.
5. Spray with water and sprinkle with flour. Bake in a hot 375° F. oven 30-40 min.