Potato-Goat Cheese Packets
These goat cheese and potato packets take a little bit of effort, but the stunning presentation that results is well worth it. This dish is a gourmet delight.
1⁄2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
1 oz. olive oil
1⁄2 oz. champagne vinegar
1⁄2 oz. walnut oil
Salt and pepper, as needed
1 small romaine lettuce
1 large Idaho potato
4 oz. goat cheese
2 slices sourdough bread, cut into 5-in. circles
1. To make the vinaigrette, add walnuts to a small bowl and combine with olive oil, vinegar, and walnut oil; season to taste with salt and pepper.
2. Remove outer leaves of romaine and make two small bundles with inner spears.
3. Peel potato and slice 4 thin pieces length-wise on a mandoline. Place on a parchment paper-covered sheet pan. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Cook for 5 min. until translucent and allow to cool. Make 2 crosses with the potatoes and place 2-oz. sq. shapes of goat cheese in the center of each cross. Fold over potato flaps and place in refrigerator for at least 15 min.
5. Cut smaller circles out of the sourdough slices. Heat an oil coated, non-stick pan and sauté the goat cheese packets and bread circles until golden brown; place on paper towel.
6. Place goat cheese packets on plates, toss romaine with vinaigrette and place each bundle of romaine spears through each of the holes of croutons; garnish with cracked black pepper and serve.