Potato Gnocchi with Smoked Trout and Sage Brown Butter
Smoked trout and browned butter turn simple gnocchi into a satisfying and elegant entree. Having the gnocchi prepared ahead of time makes this dish easy to finish.
6 russet potatoes, washed
1 large egg
1 cup cake flour
Salt and white pepper, to taste
1 cup (8 oz.) butter
2 cups smoked trout, cut or torn into large pieces
Juice of 2 lemons
2 tbsp. sage, chiffonade
1 bunch watercress
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Roast potatoes until fork tender, about 1 hr. Cool potatoes until easy to handle; puree with a potato ricer or food mill. Let cool completely.
2. Mix potato puree with egg. Add cake flour until combined; do not overmix. Season with salt and white pepper.
3. Turn mixture onto floured board. Roll potato mixture into 1-in. diameter sausages, and then cut into 1⁄3-in. thick slices. Freeze until needed. (Gnocchi are cooked from a frozen state, which enables them to be sautéed.)
4. Heat 1⁄2 cup butter in a large sauté pan. Sauté gnocchi over med. heat until golden; flip and continue cooking 2 min. more. Add smoked trout; cook until trout is warmed. Season with salt and white pepper.
5. Melt remaining butter in a separate sauté pan; heat until butter is browned and has a nutty aroma. Add lemon juice and sage; season with salt and white pepper. Divide gnocchi and trout into 6 heated entree bowls, spoon browned butter on top, and garnish with watercress. Serve immediately.