This is a dish meant to impress. The fish cooks up moist covered with the potato scales. Golden brown and served with a wine sauce, it is delicious as well as dazzling.
2 large potatoes, peeled
6 striped bass or grouper fillets (about 21⁄2 lb.)
Flour or potato starch
1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1⁄2 cup white wine
1 shallot, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Thinly slice potatoes and trim into uniform pieces to look like fish scales. Air dry potato slices in convection oven at 150°-200°F for 10 min., rotating pan and stirring.
2. Coat fish fillets lightly with flour or starch; brush with egg wash. Press potato slices onto one side of each fish fillet, arranging them like scales.
3. Heat oil in large sauté pan. Add fish, potato-side down; sauté until lightly browned. Flip fish and place pan in 450°F oven; cook 3-5 min. longer.
4. Remove fish and keep warm. Remove excess oil from pan; stir in wine and shallots. Cook until reduced by half. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Place fish on a bed of kale; drizzle with wine mixture and parsley. Garnish with lemon.