Potato and Corn Chowder
Chock full of potatoes, corn, carrots, celery, onions and bacon, this chunky chowder offers good value, rich flavor and a healthy nutrition profile. A bowl of this hearty soup is filling enough for lunch. Or serve it in a cup to accompany a sandwich or salad.
8 oz. bacon, diced
6 oz. celery, finely chopped
6 oz. carrots, finely chopped
1 lb. onions, chopped
¼ cup flour
2 qt. chicken broth
2 ½ lb. russet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-in. dice
4 cans (14 oz. each) cream-style corn
8 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
4 tsp. chopped fresh thyme leaves
About 1 1/3 cups low-fat milk
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In large saucepan over med. heat, sauté bacon until crisp. Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
2. Pour off all but 4 tbsp. fat from saucepan. Add celery and carrots; cook about 5 min. Add onions and cook 5 min. longer.
3. Stir in flour; slowly add chicken broth, stirring continuously until thickened.
4. Add 1 qt. water and potatoes; simmer about 15 min. or until potatoes are tender. Add corn, Worcestershire sauce and thyme; heat through.
5. Stir in enough milk to reach desired thickness. Stir in bacon; season with salt and pepper.