Portobello Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce
Portobello satay is silky-textured and smoky-flavored. Paired with the Thai-inspired spicy peanut sauce, it becomes a fabulous vegetarian appetizer.
2 2⁄3 cups chunky peanut butter
2 cups coconut milk
1⁄2 cup lemon juice
1⁄4 cup honey
8 cloves garlic, chopped
4 tsp. ground cumin
1 1⁄2 tsp. crushed red pepper
24 Portobello mushrooms
Vegetable oil, as needed
Chopped cilantro and red pepper flakes, for garnish
1. For peanut sauce, combine first seven ingredients. Let stand at least 1 hr.
2. For satay, brush each portobello cap with oil and season well with salt and pepper. Arrange caps on sheet pan.
3. Bake at 500°F until mushrooms are tender, about 8 min.
4. Cut 1 portobello in 3⁄8-in. slices; thread slices on two skewers. Repeat with remaining caps; reserve.
5. Per order, grill two skewers, turning a couple of times, until tender and lightly browned, about 2 min. per side. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with 1⁄4 cup peanut sauce on the side. Garnish with crushed red pepper flakes, if desired.