Portabello, Avocado and Pepper Jack Sandwich
This vegetarian-friendly sandwich features portabello mushroom caps, avocado, tomato, lettuce and Pepper Jack cheese.
24 portabello mushroom caps
Olive oil as needed
Salt as needed
Black pepper, coarsely ground as needed
21⁄4 cups mayonnaise
3 tbsp. lemon juice
8 California avocados
1⁄4 cup lemon juice
24 round sandwich buns
24 1-oz. slices Pepper Jack cheese
24 lettuce leaves
24 slices tomato
1. Brush each portabello cap with oil; sprinkle well with salt and lightly with pepper. Arrange on sheet pan. Bake at 500°F until mushrooms are tender, about 8 mins.
2. Mix mayonnaise with 3 tbsp. lemon juice and 1½ tsp. pepper; reserve.
3. Roughly dice avocados; gently mix with ¼ cup lemon juice.
4. Toast buns. Meanwhile heat 1 portabello cap on grill or in hot frying pan. When bun is ready, spread
½ tbsp. seasoned mayonnaise on each cut side.
5. Place portabello cap, stem side up, on bottom half of bun. Fill with 1/3 cup diced avocado. Top avocado with 1 slice cheese. Heat in hot oven until cheese begins to melt, about 2 mins.
6. Top with 1 lettuce leaf, 1 slice tomato and top of bun.
Recipe by California Avocado Commission