Pork Shoulder Ravioli with Wisconsin Gran Canaria Cheese
Gran Canaria is a mixed milk cheese, aged at least two years and olive oil cured. In this dish the cheese joins pork shoulder, garlic, tomato paste, Zinfandel wine and fresh basil to make a savory ravioli.
1 2-2 1⁄2 lbs. pork shoulder, in one piece
4 tbsp. olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
1 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp. tomato paste
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
1 tsp. dried basil leaves
1 cup Zinfandel wine
4 cups tomato purée
1 tbsp. sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
1 package fresh pasta sheets
2 cups Carr Valley Gran Canaria Cheese
1⁄4 lb. fresh basil
1. Brown meat on all sides in 4 tbsp. oil over medium-high heat.
2. Remove meat from pan and add onions. Reduce heat to medium-low and sweat onions for 3 mins. Stir in garlic and tomato paste; cook for 2 mins.
3. Add seasonings and stir for about 15 secs. Add wine; simmer and stir about 4 mins., until sauce is thick and liquid is reduced. Stir in tomato purée and sugar; return meat to pan.
4. Cover and simmer on very low heat for 3 hours or until meat is tender and pulls apart. Remove meat from sauce, remove visible fat and shred meat with two forks. Stir in enough of tomato sauce to moisten meat. Reserve remaining sauce.
5. Preheat oven to 400°F. Bring large kettle of water to boil.
6. Cut pasta into 3-in. squares. Cook squares, a few at a time, in boiling water for about 45 secs. Remove pasta to work surface and lay flat. Place scant tablespoon of pork mixture in middle of each square. Fold pasta over pork.
7. Place on greased baking sheet. Repeat with all of pasta squares. Top each ravioli with rounded teaspoon of cheese.
8. Bake ravioli for 10 to 12 mins., or until cheese is brown. Drizzle ravioli with extra olive oil and sprinkle with basil. Serve with reserved tomato sauce.
Recipe by Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board