Granola can be breakfast food, snack or an ingredient in a yogurt parfait or fruit salad—all of which can be packed to go. Chef Smith’s from-scratch recipe has the added crunch of pistachios, the sweetness of dried fruits and the freshness of grated orange zest for an all-around satisfying version of granola.
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/3 cup maple syrup
2 tbsp. flax seed oil
Grated zest of 2 large oranges
4 cups old -fashioned (rolled) oats
1 cup shelled pistachios
1/3 cup honey
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
1/3 cup sesame seeds
1 cup chopped dried fruits, including dates, apples, apricots
- Position racks in center and upper third of oven; preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spread coconut on a baking sheet. Bake on center rack, stirring often, until lightly toasted, about 10 min. Transfer to large bowl.
- In med. saucepan, combine maple syrup, flax seed oil and orange zest; over med. heat, bring to a simmer.
- In large bowl, combine oats, pistachios, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg and sesame seeds. Add maple syrup mixture and toss well.
- Spread mixture on baking sheets. Bake 15 min. until granola is golden brown, stirring often and switching position of baking sheets from top to bottom and front to back halfway through baking.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Stir granola into bowl of coconut along with dried fruit. (The granola can be stored at room temperature in airtight containers for up to 1 month.)