Pesto Steak Panini
Basil pesto-brushed beef shoulder petite tender steaks are char-grilled and sliced, put on Italian bread, and then layered with aioli tomato, onion and fontina cheese. The finished sandwich is grilled panini-style until the cheese melts. Serve warm.
10 beef shoulder petite tender steaks
1-1 1⁄2 cups prepared basil pesto
1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
1⁄4 cup creamy horseradish sauce
1⁄4 cup pureed roasted garlic
2 tsp. grated lemon zest
2 tsp. lemon pepper seasoning
24 Italian bread slices, top sides brushed with butter
24 thin tomato slices
24 thin red onion slices
6 cups shredded fontina cheese
1. Brush steaks evenly on both sides with basil pesto, as needed; reserve in hotel pans.
2. Char-grill steaks over med. heat 10-12 min. on each side, or until desired doneness. Let stand 5 min. Cut into 1⁄2-in. thick slices; keep warm.
3. Whisk mayonnaise, horseradish sauce, garlic puree, zest, and lemon pepper to blend.
4. Per serving: Lay 2 bread slices, butter-side down; spread one with 1 tbsp. garlic mayonnaise. Top with 2 slices each tomato and onion, 4 oz. steak, 1 tbsp. pesto, and 1⁄2 cup cheese.
5. Close sandwich; grill-press on panini grill or flattop griddle 2-5 min., or until golden brown and cheese melts. Serve warm.