Pesto-Onion-Ricotta Lasagna Rolls
These lasagna rolls are packed with three types of cheese, fresh veggies and tomatoes, making it a favorite for pasta night.
1 1/2 lb. red onions (for topping)
6 tbsp. olive oil
7 cups chopped red or yellow onions
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 lb. softened cream cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 cups pesto sauce
24 lasagna noodles, 2 to 2 1/4 in. wide
1 3/4 quarts fire-roasted whole tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped fresh oregano
2 tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
- For topping, remove skin and root end from red onions; cut onions into wedges. Toss wedges with 2 tablespoons oil and spread on baking sheet.
- Roast at 400°F for 25 minutes, or until roasted and tender.
- For filling: Sauté chopped onions in 1/4 cup oil over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes, or until tender and sweet.
- Beat chopped caramelized onions with ricotta, cream cheese, Parmesan cheese and pesto sauce.
- Boil lasagna noodles until tender; drain. Spread noodles out on board. Pipe filling equally along the length of noodles and roll up.
- Place rolls seam-side down in baking dish. Cover and bake at 425°F for 20 minutes, or until hot in center. For sauce, heat tomatoes with fresh herbs, breaking up largest chunks while heating.
- For each serving, place two rolls on plate or wide pasta bowl and ladle sauce over. Top with roasted onion wedges and, if desired, garnish with fresh herbs and Parmesan cheese.