Persian Chicken Kabob
These chicken kabobs use a yogurt marinade that includes garlic, lime juice, tumeric and onion to create the tastes of Persia.
1 tbsp. boiling water
1/2 tsp. saffron, ground in mortar and pestle
1 large onion, grated
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup lime juice
2 tsp. turmeric
2 tsp. kosher salt
2 tsp. black pepper
1 cup oil
2 cups yogurt
30 3-oz. chicken breasts, cut in half
1. Mix together boiling water and saffron, allow to infuse and cool.
2. Mix together all ingredients except chicken breasts.
3. Combine chicken breast pieces and yogurt marinade. Toss together to evenly coat. Allow to marinate overnight.
4. Place 10 pieces of chicken onto each Persian sword skewer.
5. Cook over an open flame until an internal temperature of 165° F is reached. Turn as needed.
6. Serve with basmati rice and flat bread.
Recipe by Kerry Patterson, University of Colorado