A sweet little appetizer or side dish of pears, sweet red peppers and mild green chilies, oven-baked in flour tortillas with Monterey Jack cheese. Serve with your choice of toppings.
4 (8-in.) flour tortillas, plain, tomato, or whole wheat
15 oz. canned pear halves or slices, drained
8 oz. Monterey jack or cheddar cheese, shredded
1⁄3 cup sweet red peppers, roasted, julienned, and drained
1⁄3 cup sliced green onions
2 oz. mild green chilies, chopped, drained
Desired toppings: Salsa, sour cream, sliced olives, sliced toasted almonds, and/or crumbled cooked bacon
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. On a large baking sheet, place 2 tortillas.
2. Dice pears; sprinkle half of the diced pears over each tortilla. Sprinkle half of the cheese, peppers, onions, and chilies over each tortilla, leaving a 1-in. edge all around.
3. Top with remaining tortillas, pressing them gently over the filling.
4. Bake for 9-11 min., or until cheese is melted and filling is hot.
5. Cut each quesadilla into 8 wedges; serve immediately with desired toppings.