Pear ‘n Cheese Meal-in-a-Muffin
The combination of cheese and fruit in a fresh-baked muffin creates an item that crosses over into several dayparts. Perfect for breakfast with a cup of coffee or glass of milk, the muffin also makes a hearty mid-morning or afternoon snack. Or menu it as an accompaniment to soup or salad at lunch.
7 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups whole wheat flour
2 oz. baking powder
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp. salt
1 lb. cheddar cheese, shredded
1 1/2 qt. milk
1 cup vegetable oil
2 lb. 11 oz. canned pears, diced and well drained
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. In large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, sugar and salt.
3. Add cheese to dry ingredients. With mixer on low speed, mix until cheese is coated and separated.
4. In another bowl, combine eggs, milk and oil. Add to dry ingredients and mix on low speed until just blended (the batter will be lumpy). Fold in pears.
5. With #16 dipper, spoon batter into 48 greased muffin tins, filling 2/3 full. Bake 20 min., until muffins are golden brown.
6. Turn out of pans immediately and cool.
Recipe by Chef Michelle Schmidt, Food and Words Consulting, San Francisco, Calif.
Recipe courtesy of Pacific Northwest Canned Pear Service (PNCPS)