Peach Melba Ice Cream Sandwiches
Squares of raspberry and peach ice cream sandwiched between flaky filo rectangles, delicious and worth the calories.
Fruity Ice Cream:
8 large egg yolks
1 cup sugar
2 1⁄4 tsp. salt
2 1⁄2 cups milk
2 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
12 oz. raspberry puree
14 oz. peach puree
4 oz. toasted almonds
1⁄2 cup sugar
4 oz. unsalted butter
12 sheets filo dough
1. Whisk egg yolks, 1⁄2 cup sugar, and salt.
2. Heat milk, cream, and remaining sugar 5 min., stirring, until scalded. Slowly whisk hot liquid into yolks. Return to saucepan over low heat; stir 5 min., until custard coats a spoon; strain.
3. Divide custard in half; cool over ice bath. Stir raspberry puree into one half and peach into other; chill.
4. Freeze mixtures separately in an ice cream machine.
5. Spray two 13- X 9-in. pans; line with plastic. Spread each ice cream into a prepared pan; freeze solid.
6. Invert pans of ice cream onto parchment; remove plastic. Cut ice cream into 3- X 2-in. rectangles; freeze.
7. Prepare Filo Rectangles: Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 2 sheet pans with parchment.
8. Finely grind almonds and sugar together in processor.
9. Lay filo sheets on counter; cover with kitchen towels. Brush 1 sheet with melted butter; sprinkle with some almond sugar. Lay a second sheet of filo on top of first; repeat brushing and sprinkling. Continue with 2 more sheets to build a stack of 4.
10. Cut filo stack into 24 rectangles, each about 3.3- X 2-in.; transfer to sheet pans. Repeat 2 more times with remaining filo to make 72 rectangles total. Bake filo rectangles 10 min., until golden; cool.
11. Per serving, place rectangles of raspberry and peach ice creams between 2 filo rectangles. Serve immediately.