“Every year here at Top Tier Catering by Texas Tech University we try to unveil a new menu item,” explains Sous Chef Marc Silvas. “Our goal is to develop an item that could be our signature dish for the year. Since its inception, [Panko-crusted Chicken] has been quite a popular menu item. The sauce adds an unexpected kick of flavor—lemony and buttery with just a hint of heat on the back of your palate. And panko is such a versatile product; we had been playing around with it in the kitchen for quite some time. It gives a unique appearance, flavor and mouthfeel to the finished product and can also hold very well for service.”
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cups flour
1 cup cream
3 tbsp. Italian seasoning
2 cups panko breadcrumbs
1 tbsp. salt
1 tbsp. pepper
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Preheat frying oil to 350°F.
- Roll chicken breasts in flour to coat; shake off excess flour.
- Mix cream and egg together to form egg wash. Dip chicken in wash and coat well.
- Mix Italian seasoning, panko, salt and pepper together. Dredge chicken in panko mixture and shake off excess.
- Deep-fry breaded chicken in oil for 4 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove chicken from oil and place on baking rack on sheet pan. Bake for 7 minutes at 350°F, or until internal temperature of 165°F.
- Top with lemon butter sauce and serve alongside buttered broccoli and angel hair pasta.