Pan Seared Salmon with Greenwheat Freekheh
Spice up your fish selection with this unique salmon dish from El Camino Hospital in California.
1 cup water
4 oz. Greenwheat Freekeh
4 tsp. olive oil
2 oz. chopped shallot
1 oz. chopped garlic
2 shredded medium carrots
½ cup toasted almonds
¼ cup chopped Italian parsley
2 oz. egg beaters
3 oz. goat cheese
½ tsp. freshly ground pepper
4 salmon fillets, 4 oz. each
4 tbsp. julienned fresh basil (reserve 1 tbsp. for later)
2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley (reserve 1 tbsp. for later)
1 tbsp. minced garlic
2 tbsp. lemon juice
4 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
Cracked black pepper to taste
1 finely chopped garlic clove
1 cup diced tomatoes
4 Kalamata olives, pitted, chopped
1 tbsp. capers
1 lemon, zested
- Bring water to a boil. Add Greenwheat Freekeh. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, heat 2 teaspoons of oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring often until soft, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add carrots and reduce heat to low and cook, stirring often, until softened and shallots are lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Transfer cooked vegetables and rice to large food processor. Add almonds, goat cheese, egg beaters, parsley and pepper. Pulse until well blended, but still little coarse. Scrape into large bowl. With wet hands, form mixture into four 3-inch patties. Heat remaining 2 teaspoons of oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add patties and cook until well browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer to baking sheet and bake at 160°F, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Place salmon fillets in shallow bowl. Toss well with basil, parsley, garlic, lemon juice, half olive oil and pepper. Let rest for 15 minutes.
- Cook salmon in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes, shaking pan and carefully lifting salmon with spatula to loosen salmon from pan. Reduce heat to medium. Cover pan and cook until salmon is cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes more. Skin should be crisp and flesh medium rare.
- Combine remaining olive oil, herbs, tomatoes, olives and capers in bowl and mix well.
- When salmon is ready, place Greenwheat Freekeh on plate and top with salmon, then add herb-tomato mixture with lemon zest.
Recipe by El Camino Hospital, Mountain View, Calif.