Osumc’s turkey/beef meatloaf
Culinary Director Drew Patterson says this is a modified recipe for an Italian meatball that he made when he worked at a country club. “We use a 90/10 ground beef/turkey blend,” he explains. “It is 60% ground beef and 40% dark meat, skin-off turkey. We use this to control the fat content and selected the dark meat turkey to add that moisture and flavor back into the mix. The meatloaf has always been one of our most popular items.”
30 lb. diced onions
1 cup basil
3 1/2 cups oregano
5 1/2 containers liquid eggs
3 cups garlic powder
3 cups salt
1 1/2 cups black pepper
9 1/4 cups Parmesan cheese
37 lb. breadcrumbs
50 lb. ground turkey/beef blend
8 cups ketchup
1 cup yellow mustard
2 cups brown sugar
2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. white pepper
- Sauté onion in just enough olive oil to grease pan, until onions become translucent. Then add basil and oregano and sauté for 1 minute. Remove from heat and cool down.
- Mix eggs, garlic powder, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese together. Add cooled onions.
- Add breadcrumbs to egg mix and let soak for 20 minutes.
- Add meat and mix well. Mix by hand if possible. Try not to use high speed if using mixer or you will overwork product.
- Shape into loaves and place in pans. Cover pans with foil and bake at 300°F in convection oven for 1 hour, or until internal temperature reaches minimum of 165°F.
- While meatloaf is cooking, mix ingredients for Meatloaf Sauce together and set aside. When meatloaf is finished cooking, brush immediately with sauce and return to oven for 5 more minutes. Cut and serve immediately or cool down, date and label for storage.
Recipe by Ohio State University Medical Center (Columbus)