Orange Pecan Biscotti
Biscotti are brightened with a hint of orange and nuttiness. The cookie holds up well and looks great on a cookie plate.
3⁄4 cup pecan pieces
1 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
1⁄4 tsp. salt
1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1⁄4 cup plus 2 tbsp. sugar
1⁄4 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. grated orange zest
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Place pecans in 9-in. pie pan and toast in oven about 5-7 min. or until deep brown and glossy. Chop finely and set aside.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3. Combine butter and sugar; beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla, egg, and orange zest. Fold in dry ingredients and nuts and mix.
4. Line a baking pan with parchment paper. Form dough into a 3- by 12-in. strip. Mound dough up in center so sliced biscotti will be thicker in middle.
5. Bake on middle rack until golden, about 18-20 min. Remove from oven and cool 10 min. Reduce oven temperature to 300° F.
6. Slice loaf diagonally into (12-16) 1⁄4-in slices. Spread out evenly on pan, cut-side down. Return to oven and bake 20 min., turning cookies over halfway through baking. Cool 1-2 hr. in oven.