Orange-Achiote Pork Carnitas
Enticing and aromatic spicy orange scented pork is shredded and served with flour tortillas. Black beans, a sweet and spicy pinapple salsa and avocado accompany the pork.
2⁄3 cup orange juice
1⁄2 cup achiote paste
4 jalapeños, seeded, stemmed
4 garlic cloves
1⁄3 cup cilantro, minced
8 1⁄2 lb. country pork ribs
Flour tortillas, as needed
1. In a food processor, combine orange juice, achiote paste, jalapeños, garlic and cilantro; puree until blended. Season to taste.
2. Place pork ribs in large pan; spread mixture over ribs. Cover; refrigerate overnight.
3. Fill pan with 1 in. of water and simmer in a 425° F. oven for 45 min. Cover with foil and return to oven for 25 min.
4. Cool ribs and shred meat.
5. Serve shredded pork with black beans, sauteed onions and poblano, pineapple-chipotle salsa, avocado and tortillas.