Ooey Gooey Baked Hawaiian
A retro dessert made modern with updated flavors and fruit.
24 slices (3/4-in. thick) marbled pound cake
1 gal. pineapple-coconut ice cream, slightly softened
1 qt. fresh frozen mango chunks, partially thawed, diced
24 egg whites
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 cups sugar, divided
5 lb. fresh frozen raspberries, thawed
2 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
24 fresh mint sprigs
- Place cake slices on baking tray lined with parchment paper. Mound about 2/3 cup ice cream on each cake slice, quickly smoothing sides with thin knife or spatula. Refreeze for about 2 hr. to harden ice cream.
- Spoon diced mango equally on ice cream; return to freezer.
- To make meringue, beat egg whites in large bowl with electric mixer until foamy. Add cream of tartar and continue beating, slowly adding 3/4 cup sugar, until meringue forms stiff, glossy peaks.
- Place meringue in large pastry bag fitted with a med. star tip. Pipe meringue evenly over ice cream “mounds,” covering all surfaces. Return to freezer for 1 hr. or until serving time.
- To make sauce, combine raspberries, lemon juice and remaining 1/4 cup sugar in blender or food processor. Cover; blend until almost smooth.
- Strain berry mixture through fine mesh strainer into med. bowl, using back of wooden spoon to separate juice from seeds. Cover and refrigerate until serving time.
- For service, place baking tray directly from freezer to hot oven and bake at 500ºF for 1 to 2 min. until lightly brown. Place each “Baked Hawaii” on individual serving plate. Spoon raspberry sauce around plate. Garnish each with mint sprig and additional raspberries, if desired.