North Carolina Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Mascarpone Cheese
A sweet and delicious twist to gnocchi. This recipe can be made with butternut squash instead of the sweet potatoes, or an Alfredo versus the marscapone sauce detailed here.
4 med. sweet potatoes
1 med. russet potato
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 egg, beaten
Pinch each of cinnamon and nutmeg
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 shallots, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp. sugar
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1⁄2 cup herb, vegetable, or chicken stock
4 oz. mascarpone cheese
1 bunch sage, finely chopped
1. Roast sweet potatoes in center of oven at 300°F, about 1 hr., or until tender. Peel and keep warm.
2. Place russet potato in boiling water and cook until tender; drain. Peel and coarsely chop russet potato. In a rice mill, rice warm sweet potatoes and russet potato.
3. Stir in flour, egg, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and pepper; mix well.
4. Place sweet potato mixture into pastry bag fitted with 1⁄2-in. diameter tip. Bring water to boil in large, open pot. Squeeze pastry tube over boiling water, cutting mixture with kitchen shears at 1⁄2-in. lengths.
5. Cook in boiling water until dough floats to the surface; drain and keep warm. Repeat with remaining dough.
6. In a saucepan, heat shallots, garlic, sugar, cream, and stock. Add cheese and sage. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Combine gnocchi with sauce and serve.