Mussels Marinated in Sherry, Fennel and Orange
Fresh PEI mussels served on the half shell with sherry and fennel for a flavor that’s truly delectable. An ideal appetizer, this dish is delicious year-round.
5 lb fresh PEI mussels
1 head, fennel
1⁄2 L orange juice
1⁄4 cup sherry vinegar
1⁄4 cup grape seed oil
5 clove garlic
Small handful orange zest, orange segments and fennel fronds
- Rinse fresh PEI mussels in tap water.
- Discard any mussels that do not close when lightly tapped. Set remaining mussels aside.
- Finely slice the shallots and garlic. Sweat in a large pot until tender.
- Deglaze with the sherry vinegar and orange juice
- Bring to a boil and add the mussels. Cover to steam the mussels and once they open, refrigerate. Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Stain the cold liquid and add the finely sliced fennel and grape seed oil.
- Pour the liquid over the mussels and garnish with orange zest, orange segments and fennel fronds.