This popular cocktail makes its way to the dessert menu in this mint and lime cream pie. Garnish with coconut and lime and serve with a cordial glass of rum.
1 tbsp. unflavored gelatin
1⁄3 cup light rum
1⁄3 cup fresh lime juice
1 tbsp. grated lime zest
3 large eggs, separated
1⁄2 cup sugar, divided
1⁄2 tsp. mint extract
1-2 drops green food color
1 pt. heavy cream, divided
9-in. baked crumb crust
Coconut shreds and lime wedges
1. In saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over rum; soften 1 min. Stir in juice and zest; blend in egg yolks and 1⁄4 cup sugar.
2. Stir over low heat until mixture reaches 175°F. Transfer to bowl set in ice water. Stir until chilled and thickened. Stir in extract and food color.
3. Beat egg whites with salt until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar until stiff. Gently fold whites into lime mixture.
4. Beat 3⁄4 cup cream until stiff; fold into lime mixture. Spoon into crust and chill.
5. Beat remaining cream; spread over pie. Garnish with coconut and lime and serve with a cordial glass of rum.