Tender, buttery dough and sweet preserves are the basis for this confection. Sweet yet light, they make a great dessert served on a pretty plate and sprinkled with powdered sugar.
8 oz. butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1⁄2 cups flour
1⁄2 tsp. salt
1⁄8 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
1 cup jam or fruit preserves
1⁄2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1. Cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg; stir in vanilla.
2. Sift flour, salt, and cinnamon. Beat flour mixture into creamed mixture until well blended. Stir in walnuts. Chill dough for 30 min., or until firm.
3. Divide dough in half; roll out on floured surface to 3⁄8-in. thickness. Cut out dough with small round cookie cutter, then stamp out a hole in center of half the cookie rounds; these will be the cookie tops. Chill.
4. Preheat oven to 375°F. Place cookies on greased sheets. Bake 7-9 min. until firm to the touch and pale yellow. Cool on wire rack.
5. Spread cookie bottoms with jam and sandwich with cookie tops. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.