Middle Eastern Burger with Sweet Potato Fries and Tabbouleh
Middle Eastern flavors abound in this tasty burger. Served with cumin-sweet potato fries and a side of tabbouleh for an authentic touch.
1 cup bulgur wheat
3 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
2 small cucumbers, seeded and diced
1⁄2 cup red onion, finely diced
1 cup mint leaves, coarsely chopped
1 cup Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
1⁄2 cup lemon juice
2⁄3 cup olive oil
4 lb. ground sirloin
2 tbsp. cumin seed, toasted and ground
2 tbsp. coriander seed, toasted
1 1⁄2 cups scallions, chopped
2 cups cilantro leaves and stems, roughly chopped
Whole coriander seeds, crushed, as needed
1⁄4 cup ground cumin
1⁄8 cup sea salt
8 sweet potatoes, sliced in 1⁄4-in. fries
Vegetable oil, for frying
2 onions, sliced
2 tbsp. butter
8 onion rolls, toasted
1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1. In a large bowl, soak bulgur wheat in cold water until tender, approx. 30 min.; discard excess water. Add tomatoes, cucumber, onion, mint and parsley. Add lemon juice and olive oil and mix well. Season to taste and reserve.
2. In a large bowl, combine sirloin, cumin, coriander, scallions and cilantro. With your hands, form mixture into 1⁄2-lb. patties and lightly coat with additional coriander seeds; reserve refrigerated.
3. In a small bowl, combine 1⁄4 cup ground cumin and sea salt. In a deep-fryer or pan, fry sweet potatoes in hot oil until crispy. Drain well and toss with cumin seasoning to coat.
4. Meanwhile, in a skillet, sauté onions in butter until caramelized. Reserve.
5. To order, grill or broil burgers until desired doneness, approx. 3 min. per side for rare. Place burger on an onion roll and top with caramelized onions and feta cheese. Serve with cumin-sweet potato fries and tabbouleh.