Manchego Chicken Breasts
Serrano ham and Manchego cheese folded into pounded chicken breasts and cooked. Serve with piquillo pepper and olive mixture.
2 cups pitted green Spanish olives
6 boned and skinned chicken breast halves (about 21⁄2 lb.)
6 thin slices Serrano ham (about 3 oz.)
6 tbsp shredded Manchego cheese
6 tbsp. Spanish olive oil, divided
1 cup dry white wine
2 cups diced piquillo peppers
Chopped parsley, for garnish
1. In a small saucepan, combine olives with 1-qt. water; bring to a boil and boil for 5 min. Drain and slice.
2. Between two pieces of waxed paper or plastic wrap, pound each chicken breast 1⁄4-in. thick; place on a flat surface. Top each breast with 1 Serrano ham slice and 1 tbsp. Manchego cheese; press firmly to adhere. Fold each breast in half crosswise; secure with toothpicks. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with paprika. Repeat with remaining 5 chicken breasts.
3. In a large skillet, heat 3 tbsp. olive oil until hot. Add three chicken breasts and cook until lightly browned on both sides and just cooked through, about 5 min. Transfer to a platter and cover loosely with foil. Repeat cooking with remaining oil and chicken. Remove toothpicks.
4. Add white wine to drippings in skillet. Bring to a boil, scraping up browned bits. Add reserved olives and simmer 1 min. Add 2 tbsp. water to skillet if sauce looks dry. Stir in piquillo peppers; remove from heat.
5. Divide the olive and piquillo pepper mixture evenly among six serving plates. Top each serving with a chicken breast. If desired, sprinkle with chopped parsley.