Mac & Cheese
A bit of Mexican flair enhances a childhood favorite in this macaroni and cheese dish with chili powder, chorizo and sharp cheddar and pepper jack cheeses.
4 tbsp. butter
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. chili powder
1 cup coarse bread crumbs
4 oz. chorizo, sliced
1⁄4 cup flour
2 cups milk
8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese
8 oz. macaroni twists or elbows, cooked and drained
8 oz. pepper jack cheese
1. Melt 1 tbsp. butter; add garlic and sauté until soft. Stir in chili powder and bread crumbs until golden; reserve.
2. Cook chorizo until browned on both sides; reserve.
3. In saucepan, melt 3 tbsp. butter. Whisk in flour; cook 1 min. Gradually whisk in milk; stir until thickened. Stir in cheddar until melted.
4. In large bowl, toss macaroni with jack cheese. Add cheese sauce and chorizo, mixing well. Portion macaroni into individual baking dishes; sprinkle with reserved bread crumbs.
5. Bake in 350°F oven 30 min., until bubbly and browned.