Lentil Flat Breads
Worth the effort, this well flavored flatbread is delicious. A welcome addition that will add interest to any bread basket.
1⁄2 cup dried green lentils
2 tbsp. semolina flour
1 cup plus 2 tbsp. 70º F water
1 1⁄2 tsp. active dry yeast
2 3⁄4 cups bread flour
1 tbsp. whole cumin seeds
1 tsp. ground black pepper
2 tbsp. olive oil
1⁄2 tsp. salt
Caramelized onions or herbs, for topping
Cornmeal, for baking
1. Soak lentils in very hot water for 30 min. Drain on paper towels. Finely grind in food processor with semolina.
2. Dissolve yeast in 70°F water; let stand 5 min.
3. In mixer, combine bread flour, cumin, and pepper. With paddle, blend in yeast at low speed for 3 min. Change to hook attachment; add lentils, oil, and salt. Mix on medium for 6 min., or until dough is smooth and slightly sticky. Place in large oiled bowl. Cover with plastic and let rise for 11⁄2-2 hours until doubled.
4. Preheat oven to 500ºF for 45 min. with pizza stone or oiled sheet pan inside (if there’s no hearth). Punch dough down and portion into 12 pieces. Cover and let rest for 15 min.
5. Roll each piece of dough out on lightly floured surface into a 1⁄4 in.-thick oblong. Top with onions and herbs. Spritz oven heavily with water. Dust baking surface with meal and bake flat breads for 7-10 min.