Lemon Buttercup Dumplings
A rich cream cheese dough with a hint of lemon folded around dried plum filling creates delectable pastry "flowers".
For the dough:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1⁄4 tsp. salt
1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1⁄2 cup sour cream
1 egg yolk
For the filling:
1 package cream cheese
(8 oz.), softened
1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. grated lemon peel
3⁄4 cup pitted dried plums, coarsely chopped
Powdered sugar, as needed
1. To make dough: In a food processor, or mixer bowl fitted with paddle attachment, combine flour and salt. Add butter; process or mix until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set aside.
2. In small bowl, combine sour cream and egg yolk until well mixed. Add to flour mixture; mix or process until dough just comes together.
3. Form mixture into 2 equal discs. Wrap and chill at least 4 hours. Heat oven to 375°F.
4. To make filling: In mixer bowl, beat cream cheese, and sugar until creamy. Add egg, vanilla, and lemon peel; beat well. Set aside.
5. Liberally sprinkle work surface with powdered sugar. Roll one portion of dough into 10x71⁄2-in. rectangle. Cut into even squares.
6. Place 1 tsp. of dried plums in center of each square and spoon 1 tbsp. cheese filling over dried plums. Gently gather the corners of the square together (but don’t pinch the corners together).
7. Place in greased 13⁄4 x 11⁄4 x 3⁄4-in. mini muffin cups. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Bake 25-30 min. or until light golden brown. Cool in pans on wire rack.