Lemon Avocado Oil Marinated Flank Steak with California Avocado Chimichurri Sauce
California has been growing avocados commercially since the early 1900s, and today is the leading producer of domestic avocados. Incorporating California avocados into a dish gives it an instant California accent. Chef Rossman purees the popular Hass variety into a chimichurri sauce along with roasted poblano peppers and cilantro to punch up a marinated flank steak.
1 cup lemon-avocado oil
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp. chopped cilantro
2 lb. flank steak
Salt and pepper, to taste
For Chimichurri Sauce
1 bunch cilantro
1 bunch Italian parsley
1 1/2 cups rice vinegar
1 tbsp. chopped garlic
1 tsp. oregano
1/4 cup lime juice
2 roasted poblano peppers
2 fresh, ripe California avocados, diced
1 tsp. red chile flakes
3/4 cup water
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 cup olive oil
- Prepare Marinade: In large mixing bowl, combine oil, lemon juice and cilantro.
- Add flank steak and salt and pepper to taste; marinate overnight.
- Prepare Chimichurri Sauce: In blender, combine all ingredients except the oil.
- While blender is running, slowly add oil; blend until smooth. Reserve for service.
- For service, Grill steaks to desired temperature. Slice against the grain and portion onto plates. Serve with Chimichurri Sauce.
A large, fresh California Avocado weighs about 8 oz.