Latin Lettuce Wraps
This low carb dish of vegetables and beef layered on bibb lettuce leaves can be served as an appetizer or light meal.
8 plum tomatoes
2 poblano peppers
2 garlic cloves
1 white onion
1 bunch cilantro, divided
Kosher salt, to taste
1 lb. ground beef
2 tbsp. adobo seasoning
2 cups jasmine rice, cooked
2 heads bibb lettuce, washed, separated, and drained
1. To prepare salsa, coat tomatoes with oil and roast in 400°F oven until skins begin to blacken. Remove skins, core, and seed. Dry-roast poblanos until skins begin to blacken; cool in paper bag; remove skins and seeds. Dry-roast garlic until skin loosens and browns; remove skin. Thickly slice onion and grill until soft.
2. In food processor, lightly chop tomatoes, onions and garlic. Chop roasted poblanos by hand and stir into tomato mixture. Chop 3 tbsp. cilantro and add 1 tbsp. to mixture; season with salt.
3. Season ground beef with adobo. In hot skillet, brown beef; drain.
4. Finely chop zest from both limes and squeeze juice from one lime; add zest and juice to rice along with remaining 2 tbsp. chopped cilantro.
5. To serve, layer rice, beef, and salsa onto lettuce leaves. Roll up or serve open face. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.