Laredo Salad with Marinated Onions
A picante vinaigrette made with picante sauce, oregano, red wine and olive oil, topps this special salad, which also features avocados, fresh chilies and olives.
3 large yellow and/or red onions, halved
3⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
3⁄4 cup water
3⁄4 cup sugar
11⁄2 tsp. ground cumin
11⁄2 tsp. chili powder
3⁄4 tsp. salt
24 oz. mixed salad greens
6 large tomatoes, halved, sliced
3⁄4 cup (packed) coarsely chopped cilantro leaves
3 small fresh chilies, sliced
12 ripe olives
Picante Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
Yield: 11⁄2 cups dressing
3⁄4 cup olive oil
1⁄4 cup red wine
6 tbsp. medium picante sauce
3 tbsp. sugar
3 tsp. dried oregano
1. Place onions flat side down and thinly slice crosswise.
2. Combine vinegar, water, sugar, cumin, chili powder and salt in container with lid. Shake well to mix, add onions and shake to coat onions thoroughly. Place in refrigerator and marinate for at least 12 hours, shaking marinade two or three times.
3. To assemble salad, heap lettuce on plates. Arrange tomato slices on salads radiating out from center, wagon wheel fashion. Lift onions from marinade and heap into center.
4. Halve, seed and peel avocados. Slice each half lengthwise into thin slices, keeping slices attached at one end. Fan out and divide each fan onto two salads.
5. Sprinkle salads with cilantro and chili slices. Add olives. Serve with Picante Vinaigrette.
1. Combine all ingredients. Mix well. Top Laredo Salad with vinaigrette.
Recipe by National Onion Association